Sunday, August 9, 2026

Edith Stein: One of My First Spiritual Loves


The course of my Catholic journey means that the Feast Day of any Carmelite saint is special to me, St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross's especially so.

When I became interested in Catholicism in 1995-6 she (along with Cardinal Newman) was one of the first saints whom I met along the Way. 

After I converted at Easter 1996 I did spend some time buying and reading books about and by her but I have to confess that in the years since, though I have never forgotten her, I haven't asked myself 'what is the basis of that attraction?' - because I still find both her and Newman very attractive - often enough. 

I guess at the beginning it was her intellectualism. When I converted I was still at university so living that kind of life. That's certainly what I liked about Newman. Today, I still respect her intellectual abilities - they were very, very great - but I bet if I spent just a little more time in her spiritual company, I'd find more to not just respect but absorb and let influence me. Same with Newman.

Well, I guess (today, it seems, is a day for guessing) I know what to do next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment