For example, to be a Catholic in communion with Peter, you had to believe that Jesus was the Son of God, that He was born of the Virgin Mary, etc. But you did not have to believe that women may never become priests, or rather priestesses. You ought to because the Church had spoken authoritatively on the matter without declaring the teaching a matter of faith but because it wasn't 'de fide' you could dissent and still be in communion with Peter. Neither did you have to believe any economic teaching that the Church might put forward. This was, in my mind, especially the case as in the hierarchy of truths, the Church's economic teaching is somewhere near the bottom.
But then I read this article in America magazine, which presented a different view of what the Church means by hierarchy of truths. I'm not going to pretend I understood everything in the article but I have to say, if it is accurate, the Church's understanding of the hierarchy of truths is very beautiful. Rather than truths existing separately from each other in Division 1 of Importance, Division 2, Division 3, and so on, they are like a river; the essential truths (those that are 'de fide') are the source, all others flow from them, one truth to the next to the next. The truths that are closest to the source are more important than those further down river but nevertheless, all are important and can't be separated from each other.
What does this mean in terms of the assent we are required to give them? Because they are all joined together, am I obligated to believe the truths that are further down river, the 'lesser' or more junior ones as well as the most important? As I write these words, my answer is yes and no. Yes, I ought to believe them unless after prayer and consideration I perceive that the truth I am contemplating is not a truth after all, or, that it is not the full truth. In that case, no; even if somehow it puts me out of communion with Peter? Yes. The truth must always be followed. If it is truth, it will end with God just as it came from Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment